Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I refuse to give up...

Come hell or high water, I'm going to finish this god, damned, book.

I'm learning more and more that I have to be unafraid with my writing. As I've written the last 80 thousand words or so I've grown so much as a writer and learned so much. I've learned that at the exact moment that I dont know what to write because I'm trying to adhere to an outline, its time to jettison the outline.

If I need to take a day to just THINK about the book, I need to take that day. If I realize, half way through the book, that I don't like the way I've been writing it, do not go back and fix it. Fix it now, going forward, and then change it when you're done.

Monday, I sat down and realized that my outline for book 2 was a wash. With the events (that surprised me) from the previous few thousand words, it invalidated what I'm doing now. I also have learned that the only way for me to write is with an extremely loose outline. By getting specific with my outline, I'm not only shoehorning myself into a plot which seems to change almost daily, but I'm also focusing too much on the action.

One of the other things I realized is that my book is made up of nothing but action and I never take time to smell the roses, I merely trample them as I sprint past.

The long and short of it is last night I wrote 3500 words. A damn fine number if you ask me. Tonight lets see what we can do..

No comments:

Post a Comment